Saturday April 21, 2018
Tickets on sale HERE
Interested in being a Vendor? Get the application HERE
NEW in 2018 - stay on to attend the Building Skills Workshop! April 23-27
Watch the video: HERE
“Families Learning Together” is our annual spring fundraiser to promote sustainable and natural living through teaching earth skills from a range of instructors. The event is hosted on our beautiful wooded campus.
In addition to attending as a visiting family, there are countless other opportunities available including: volunteering, exhibiting, demonstrating and vending - so give us a call if you're more of a "behind the scenes" type...
This is your chance to return to nature and connect with our living farm, community organizations, craftsmen and teachers. While enjoying live mountain music, see examples of solar and water power systems, historic building practices, and join in on classes and demonstrations in food, blacksmithing, wood working, knife craft, blade sharpening, plant foraging, and many more. Visitors will learn through experience with a hands-on approach to an alternative way of life. Classes and workshops will be held throughout the day for all age groups. You can spend as much time as you like at a particlar learning-station, or spend the day exploring the abundant options.
This event has sold out each year. We hosted 600+ participants in 2017. This outdoor, rain or shine fundraiser benefits our scholarship program to help more families bring their children outdoors. This family-oriented event theme is sustainable lifestyle practices with a focus on agriculture and forest education. You will get to see, hear, taste, touch and feel things here that you just won't get to experience anywhere else! Join us for this important event.
* OVERNIGHT: our local campground is offering discounts: HERE - there are also countless hotels 8 miles away in Boone
* PARKING: There is plenty of FREE parking at our off-site lot with FREE shuttles from 9-5, to reduce impact and parking drama. Shuttles begin rolling at 9am - the free parking area is just before the entrance to Turtle Island. If you purchased on-site parking tickets, please enter our driveway, check in at the welcome table and they will direct you to your assigned spot.
* ARRIVAL: Once you arrive on Turtle Island Property you will turn in your ticket (that you printed out in advance) and be given a stamp. You will then have the option to either be shuttled down into "Base-Camp" on a bumpy gravel road or take a gently guided downhill hike. The trip from the entrance to base-camp is approx. 1 mile.
* WEATHER: This is a rain-or-shine event. Bring your rain jacket and wear study boots.
*FLT is an experiment in "ZERO-WASTE" - please bring your own mug/cup dish-wares and reusable utensils. Educational dish washing stations will be available for you to clean and then comfortably stow your wares. Actual waste will be composted. Bags to carry your items are available at no charge.
* FOOD: You are welcome to bring a pic-nic lunch for yourself. But if you don’t want to pack, our food vendors will be offering a variety of fresh food fares including: vegan, vegetarian and carnivorous to delight your palate. *Remember to bring cash if you plan on purchasing lunch. No ATMs, or credit-card acceptance on site. Both hot and cold beverages will be sold too - Just remember to bring your cup, mug or thermos.
* VENDING: Artisans and crafters will be demonstrating as well as selling unique hand-made items like: herbal tinctures, canned goods, natural paper note cards, fresh honey, framed photos, clothing and keepsakes. Visitors will also be provided with reusable goodie bags to stow give-away items, and handcrafts that you make while here, like a handmade candle or woodcarving.
* Spending the day outside means HYDRATION is your personal responsibility. Bring your water canteen, jug, bottle, etc. to enjoy the sweet Turtle Island mountain water. We have plenty of "fill-up" stations around campus. Make sure your young'ins have their bottle too. (If possible, try not to bring single-use bottled water. We do not have municipal waste services and empty plastic containers left behind, are more pollution than solution)
* Turtle Island Preserve is NOT LIABLE or responsible for your safety, health, or any impairment of it. Enter at your own risk. Your presence on this property represents your acknowledgement that YOU accept full liability for any damage to your person or property. This applies to parents of children and every single person present at Turtle Island Preserve or associated with Turtle Island Preserve activities & events.
*$: Many gracious donors have shared RAFFLE and silent auction items - All proceeds and funds from this event will directly support the summer camp scholarship fund to broaden our reach in sharing this unique program with more youth. We are so grateful for all the support and energy given toward this fundraiser.
* PHONES: Turtle Island Preserve does not rely on grid electricity; you might not even have a cell phone signal and that is OK. We encourage you to disconnect from your cell phone, and digital attachments for the short 6 hours of the event.
* BATHROOMS: Modern plumbing does not exist here. We encourage you to discover the liberty and freedom in using the alternative method of our beloved hand-made out houses. (Join the poo-crew and we will give you a sticker) Because we are in bondage to the restrictions of a totalitarian regime - modern port-o-potties will also be on-site.
* SMOKING: FLT is a family event to promote healthy living. Due to the imminent dangers of tobacco usage please do not smoke within 40 feet of any turtle island building. Please smoke in designated areas only and do not litter your butts.
* SPECIAL NEEDS: Please call ahead if you need handicap access or arrangements. Strollers and wheel chairs can be tricky to navigate on some of our gravel and earthen paths.
* SMALL CHILDREN: If you are bringing a small child, you may bring your car-seat on the shuttle – we will safely store it for you until you need it again for the ride out. The last shuttle leaves promptly at 4:30.
* REFUNDS: tickets are non refundable